Pick the best value stocks with our Stock Ranks, screening and valuation tool. Try the live demo today.
Investing is difficult.
But not investing is even more difficult.
What I mean is that, when markets are frothy or volatile, it takes a great amount of skill to sit and do nothing.
It takes character to sit there with all that cash and do nothing. I didn’t get to where I am by going after mediocre opportunities. – Charlie Munger
To Mr Market, activity equals achievement.
So I asked a simple question to fellow investors on facebook a month back.
What Do You Do When There is Nothing to Buy?
The most common answer and obvious answer is to continue reading. Keep it up to prepare yourself for the next opportunity that pops up.
It also helps because it keeps you busy so you don’t have to constantly check what the market is doing.
Other than that, here are some additional ideas of what you can do while the market marches forward and there is less to buy.
- Re-evaluate your stocks
- Read that book, you’ve been meaning to get to
- or re-read a book that you enjoyed
- Go through the investing journals and papers you downloaded
- Analyze your prior holdings to learn from your mistakes
- Flip through as many stocks as possible using the OSV Stock Analyzer or screener to come up with a list of stocks to watch
- Examine your investment philosophy
- Talk with a mentor regarding businesses. If you don’t have a mentor, read past letters and papers written by the greats.
- If you own a stock with physical locations or products, visit a store and ask questions
What is Old School Value?
Old School Value is a suite of value investing tools designed to fatten your portfolio by identifying what stocks to buy and sell.
It is a stock grader, value screener, and valuation tools for the busy investor designed to help you pick stocks 4x faster.
Check out the live preview of AMZN, MSFT, BAC, AAPL and FB.