Pick the best value stocks with our Stock Ranks, screening and valuation tool. Try the live demo today.
What You Will Learn
- How to Read Sec Form 4 for In-depth company research
- Learn all the Sec form 4 definitions for easy research
Thanks to a reader, I realized I’ve been making a mistake on how I read the SEC insider transaction Form 4.
How to Read SEC Form 4
The example above is the latest form 4 for Dilliards (DDS).
Overall, the form is very easy to understand. You have the filing person, the date of transaction, the type of security, codes for the type of transaction, the price paid for the security and comments down the bottom.
In the image above, I placed a star next to the transaction code.
My mistake was that I thought “A” stood for “Acquired”, which I also thought to be direct open market purchases. Oops.
Better a slice of humble pie now than later.
So for those unsure of what each transaction code stands for, the official code list from the SEC is below.
How to Read SEC Form 4 – Transaction Code Definitions
General Transaction Codes
- P – Open market or private purchase of securities
- S – Open market or private sale of securities
- V – Transaction voluntarily reported earlier than required
Rule 16b-3 Transaction Codes
- A – Grant, award, or other acquisition
- D – Sale (or disposition) back to the issuer of the securities
- F – Payment of exercise price or tax liability by delivering or withholding securities
- I – Discretionary transaction, which is an order to the broker to execute the transaction at the best possible price
- M – Exercise of conversion of derivative security
Derivative Securities Codes
- C – Conversion of derivative security (usually options)
- E – Expiration of short derivative position (usually options)
- H – Expiration (or cancellation) of long derivative position with value received (usually options)
- O – Exercise of out-of-the-money derivative securities (usually options)
- X – Exercise of in-the-money or at-the-money derivatives securities (usually options)
Other Sections 16b Exempt Transactions and Small Acquisition Codes
- G – Bona fide gift
- L – Small Acquisition
- W – Acquisition or disposition by will or laws of descent and distribution
- Z – Deposit into or withdrawal from voting trust
Other Transaction Codes
- J – Other acquisition or disposition (transaction described in footnotes)
- K – Transaction in equity swap or similar instrument
- U – Disposition due to a tender of shares in a change of control transaction
What is Old School Value?
Old School Value is a suite of value investing tools designed to fatten your portfolio by identifying what stocks to buy and sell.
It is a stock grader, value screener, and valuation tools for the busy investor designed to help you pick stocks 4x faster.
Check out the live preview of AMZN, MSFT, BAC, AAPL and FB.