We are officially in Q4 and to start, here’s a snippet of a commentary I received from Clearpath Capital Partners.
“Now with Sept. in the rearview mirror, investors are entering what has collectively been the best 3-mos period of the year for stocks over the last 20 years. Using the monthly seasonality of the Dow Jones Industrial Average over the last 20 years, the Dow has averaged a gain of 1.96% in Oct.
October has generally been considered the most volatile month of the year, but over the last 20 years, investors have seen positive stock market prices 7% of the time during this Halloween month.”
In a previous email, I shared this email that Evan from Net Net Hunter shared in his newsletter.
Now that Paris Hilton has endorsed cryptocurrency… surely it can’t be a bubble.
To round out OSV news, we’ve added FB to the OSV online app demo. You can use all the valuation models and data checks.
Old School Value Articles You May Have Missed
- My Detailed Notes to Moats and Competitive Advantages
- Why Amazon is a Great Company AND Stock
- 2 Big Fat Lies Value Investors Like to Tell Themselves
- Why I’m Now More of a Buffett and Munger Type Investor
- How to Properly Interpret ROA and ROE to Measure Management Effectiveness
- How to Calculate a DCF Growth Rate
- Uncovering How Buffett Interprets the Financial Statements
- Best of August Curated Investment Links
- Strategic Thinking: The Basics
- Distinguishing Between Earnings and Earning Power
- DuPont Analysis used to Dissect ROE + Spreadsheet
What We Read During September
- Myths, Markets and Easy Money
- What it’s like to plan for ‘non-retirement’
- Is There a Cryptocurrency Bubble? Just Ask Doge
- Charlie Munger states his and Warren Buffett’s Investing Checklist for picking companies (video)
- Howard Marks – Yet Again? (PDF)
- Ray Dalio: How to build a company where the best ideas win (Video)
- A deep dive into the blockchain rabbit hole
- The Rise Of Stealth Wealth: Ways To Stay Invisible From Society If You Have Money
- What CEOs had to say about the economy this week
- The death of reading is threatening the soul
- Big Money Thinks Small: Biases, Blind Spots, and Smarter Investing (book)
- Did Buffett Kill Value Investing?
- Gilead to Buy Kite, Maker of Cancer Treatments, for $11.9 Billion
- Tactical Asset Allocation in September (Now Adjusted for Timing Luck)
About Old School Value
Leverage your limited time to succeed in the stock market.
Stock grading, value screeners, and valuation tools for the busy investor.
Check out the live preview of AMZN, MSFT, BAC, AAPL and FB.