To get this kind of information and other exclusive articles before regular readers, get on the VIP Mailing List today.
What We’re Reading in the Media
Markets & Investing
- Geographic diversification can be a lifesaver (Bridgewater) [PDF]
…yet most portfolios are highly geographically concentrated
- Harness the power of high returns on invested capital
Five cheap companies that create value according to Elizabeth Collins: STRA, JNJ, MMM, FAST, SYY.
- Hissing Sounds up North (GreenWood Investors)
On Canada’s ticking time-bomb of a housing market.
- Prepay Mortgage Or Invest? Leverage & Negative Bonds (Fat Tailed and Happy)
“The calculus of comparing pre-paying this mortgage against taxable alternatives such as municipal bonds or long term capital gain rates therefore becomes massively more favorable in pre-paying a mortgage.”
- Is hiring an advisor worth it? (Morningstar)
“Can advisors add enough value to justify their fees?”
- Warren Buffett details the biggest investing mistakes people make (Yahoo Finance) [Video + text]
- Warren Buffett: Sometimes Buying A Basket Of Stocks In An Industry Is Better Than Picking Individual Stocks (The Acquirer’s Multiple)
- Bill Ackman thanks Buffett for Pershing Square turnaround (Yahoo Finance)
- 2 Secrets to Beating the Market. Great Value Investor Joel Greenblatt Explains (WealthTrack) [YouTube]
Company & Strategy Analysis
- Uber Questions (Stratechery)
Uber as a parody of startup culture: Cliche 1 – “We only need to get a small share of this very large market” Cliche 2 – “Skate to where the puck will be, not where it is.”
- Changing behavior takes a long time (Abnormal Returns)
“Humans do change behavior over time, whether it be through necessity or choice. Generational transitions obviously play a big role in this, but there is hope that we can change, for the better, our actions.”
- Behavioral economics reading list (Farnam Street)
This is a huge list and we’re not advocating that busy OSV subscribers SHOULD read all of them. Here’s what the FS folks are suggesting: “If you only want to read a few, check out the first three which will give you a firm introduction to everything you need to know.”
- Factor investing is simple but not easy (Alpha Architect)
Quote of the Week
Image of the week
h/t Collaborative Fund
What is Old School Value?
Old School Value is a suite of value investing tools designed to fatten your portfolio by identifying what stocks to buy and sell.
It is a stock grader, value screener, and valuation tools for the busy investor designed to help you pick stocks 4x faster.
Check out the live preview of AMZN, MSFT, BAC, AAPL and FB.